Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 12



Michael and a coworker talking about shell and skin designs (I heard them say something about one of the designers in the department who could make shells but not wall skins).


 
Michael and a coworker talking about the retail packaging for the skins. They're looking at a photo of a display from a store and a past box.

In the course of one typical workday, how many different people do you directly work with? How many people are indirectly affected by your work.
I generally work by myself, but sometimes I'll ask John or Michael to help or one of the other designers for a critique. I don't go outside of the art department too much, but once I did go talk to the licensing department (I'm planning another meeting with them too), but they're really busy right now. I try not to bother too many people though because they're doing their own work too.

Describe your direct collaboration with others—how does it go & how does it influence the work?
I go up to someone and ask for their advice or "Does this look right to you?" or something along those lines. They usually look at it and give me advice like, "don't create an object directly to the edge because there needs to be a bleed" or "think of the audience--this looks gender neutral but this component is kind of feminine, so you should cut it out". I take their advice into consideration and make the adjustments, and while the raw asset doesn't quite look right to me, when I paste it into a template it looks fine so I'm okay with that.

Describe your indirect impact on others through your work—there are probably many people you never actually see who are affected by your work. How does this happen? How does this influence your work?
I don't actually know if my work indirectly impacts anyone, but I think that it might give a little work to Rebecca (a cataloger working in the department), who I'm pretty sure is the one who makes all the skins and devices go live when they come out with no ones, and rearranges them when they need to be. I've made dozens of skins and if they go live she's the one who organizes them.

Feel free to continue writing about collaboration. How might people work differently in your job in the future? How might different resources change the way we work? How might a different manager or mentor want people to work? How would you use collaboration if you were in charge?
If I kept working at Skinit, I think I'd want to collaborate more with my coworkers. Right now I've mostly been kind of keeping to myself--I don't really even know all of the designers names (though I do know a few temps' names, I haven't talked to them). I think I'll be put on a project with Michael soon though so I might get to do a little more collaboration during my work time.

---

I got some new designs done today! I think this third one will be my last one, but I'm kind of proud of it. Now, like I said, I made more color variations on my Spiral Dots design.



Next up, my third and newest design, Fountain Dream (or was is Dream Fountain? I think that was it). Many thanks to my sister for a little bit of inspiration.



There are thirteen colors for this. I included the 9th Cherry Blossom color because it wasn't included in the other color sheets. Warning, large file!




I hope you like these. I will be printing these soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment