Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 15

Resources—Post a series of photos that show the technological resources, natural resources, economic resources and/or human resources that are connected to your internship.

 
They have plenty of computers--I'm pretty sure everyone has one. Everyone in the art department does, and everyone in marketing, and everyone in licensing, and everyone in costumer service...

They also have a bunch of extra monitors and stuff for temps during the seasons they had the most work--mostly the holidays. Actually, I think these monitors are out of service at the moment...

 They have a lot of materials for printing too. There's about 42 sheets in this pile of skins. That's a lot of sticker paper and ink! And yes, I got my sample skins today. I'm so excited!

 
 This is a pile of packaging projects left on Michael's desk. They usually print boxes and such in bulk using an outside company. Anything they only need one or a little bit of, they use the digital printer--that is, skins and such.

  
The warehouse. It's full of boxes, tubes, packaging, and all sorts of things. It's right outside the art department at the bottom of the stairs.

 
It's Matt again. Here he is with his CADing and computer and printer. I would have taken a picture of the big printers, but they wouldn't allow that, so this is the only printer I could take a picture of. The printer can cut too.

Projects & productivity—Post a series of photos that show your projects, other projects at your internship site and how they all come together. 

The first step of the whole business model is that they have a template. I already posted how the process goes in an earlier post.

When an order comes in, there's a whole system of organization and database the computer runs. It takes the template, the asset for the design, puts it together, gives it a skew (name), and drops it into a folder with the date of the day it was ordered. The orders, known as Daily Production, are laid out properly by the art team, which is where I work. After the design is laid out, it's dropped into an approval folder to be looked over and sent out.

When it's sent out, it can go into a program called NVISION, which is what Rebecca uses to catalog things and keep track of the orders and type of devices and such. This sends out a command to the printers, I'm pretty sure.

I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the production area, but here is a pile of skins (my sample orders) that came out after the order was put in. The skew name is above the bar code. These are prints of my own project, which was laid out on the three archetype templates for a laptop, MP3 player, and phone, along with a few others like my personal cell phone and a Nintendo DS.

 
After the prints are made, they get packaged and sent out.

When a customer receives their shipment, they skin their device.

Here are some skinned devices. It's my Gameboy Advance SP and my sister's. We have matching skins!

Create your own series! Post a series of photos that show us something only you can think of. You are only limited by your imagination.

 I've met a lot of people during my time at Skinit. This is Jess, the warehouse guy I met yesterday. He's so nice and cool.

 This is Pat, a guy in marketing that started last week. We've seen each other around, but we finally got to introduce ourselves just today! We ate lunch together outside. It was such a nice day.

 This is Scott! He's a really funny sweet man I met on my first day, and on a few other days too. We kept running into each other in the break room. He works in marketing too. Hopefully he and Pat can get my designs launched off!

 This is Caesar--he works in the art department too. I worked with him a little bit yesterday on some Microsoft things, and he taught me a bit about skinners too.

 
Sean--which is pronounced like Shawn--works next to Caesar. He helped with the skinners too. He's been doing tailgate stuff as long as I've been at Skinit--it's a big project.

 Robert and Jose, who I met on the first day, work behind me in the corner. They're both really good designers.

 Of course, there's Rebecca the cataloger.

 And Michael Miller, the project manager.

 
And last but not least, my mentor John O'Brien.

No comments:

Post a Comment