Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 8

What characteristics and qualities do you see in the people at your internship that you'd like to develop in yourself? Some of these qualities and characteristics could be creativity, empathy, risk-taking, ambitiousness, honesty, fairness, and so on. There are so many qualities and characteristics that people could have, so look around and think of a few good ones that you see in the people you work with.

My coworkers seem very laid-back and relaxed. I was talking to Rebecca, the cataloger who works in the design department office, and she told me that it's much more casual here than her previous workplace, which was much more professional in dress and act. Everyone also seems really friendly with each other--not only do the people in my office communicate with each other about projects and the work they needed done that day, they communicate with people in other departments too. I also overheard some people talking at lunch about some legal issues, and they seemed very comfortable talking about it, even giving each other advice and tips about how to go about a problem.

I'm usually very timid and I don't talk very often, but I asked John and Jose (who is another coworker) today to critique my work, so I think I'm improving a little bit. John pointed me to some tricks to use on my design, like how to apply a scan line texture, and it did help.

By the way, I got my first designs done today. Here is a sample of them (there are two--one original and one slightly more spread out, which is meant for phones and MP3 players). I think I'll call it "Sakura" or "Cherry blossom" (the former being the Japanese name for the latter). Any suggestions would be nice (I need a title because it shows on the website).




And here is a collection of color variations--Original Pink, Nature Green, Sky Blue, Sea Blue, Royal Purple, Tangy Orange, Sunny Gold, and Idol Teal--for version one (or the original version. I didn't want to create a sample for the spread one, it would be pointless). Which one do you like best?



Also, when I got home my sister asked me to make a "Jacaranda" one, so I did. She's doing a school project about planting trees and environmentalism, so I figured it would be nice to make a "purple sakura" version for her. There are only two color variations for this one (though if there is demand, I will create more). I don't know if I'll submit this one to be used as a skin though... might as well?




Critiques and ideas for other versions/color variations are appreciated!

---

EDIT 1/20/2010: I made a new color for the Cherry blossoms today using the Jacaranda purple skew. I'll call it Soft Lavender. I think I like this one much better than the Royal Purple one.


1 comment:

  1. I like the pink on pink one. I think that you should maybe use less blurring. It's a little hard on the eyes when you look at it all at once.

    ReplyDelete